VFX Artists are responsible for the visual effects of the world: composing, building and integrating them into the engine. Serving multiple disciplines that covers Art, Design and Tech, the effects built are technically sound, efficient and beautiful.
As a senior, this role - in collaboration with other disciplines - helps push the limits of the engine and tech to come up with new and ground-breaking VFX methods.
Deliver Stunning Visual Effects
- Build visually stunning effects in-engine in collaboration with the Art director;
- Utilize and maintain a good working knowledge of the latest tools required to deliver stunning worlds (textures, lighting, composition rules and world building rules).
- Help define new tools that benefit the team together with the Tech and Art Directors;
- Research and drive new graphics technologies with Graphics Programmers and the Tech Director;
- Help push the boundaries of the engine by defining new and efficient workflows.
Establish Multidisciplinary Standards & Workflows
- Help define and police pre-agreed technical constraints of the world together with the Tech Director;
- Help define workflows for world environment effects in collaboration with Technical Artists;
- Support gameplay and level design implementations.
- Contribute to the estimation, planning, and prioritisation of tasks;
- Leads a team to deliver the tasks on schedule;
- Identify and communicate risks and issues.
- Provide ongoing informal and structured technical feedback to colleagues to maintain high standards of quality;
- Facilitate the continued professional growth of fellow team members.
Senior VFX artists require a strong technical understanding / approach, a strong grasp of the procedural creation of worlds and visual effect techniques, and a solid artistic eye, which is sensitive to composition rules / aesthetics.
The role also consists of being able to define world effects systems (like weather), which are well composed using a set of rules and formula to feed into the procedural world creation tool.
- 5+ years games industry art / technical art experience;
- Solid grasp of Houdini and its integration into Unity;
- Shipped AAA open-world games in a Lead/Senior Level Artist (or equivalent) role;
- Shipped AAA open-world games using procedural systems;
- Strong grasp of two or more domains (ie 3D Art, 2D Art, Technical Art, Lighting, Textures);
- Experience developing with Unity;
- Solid grasp of popular games and art direction in gaming generally;
- Up-to-date knowledge of trends in art production methodologies and tools;
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills in verbal and written English.
NICE TO HAVES
- AAA / console game development experience;
- Confident in prototyping and researching new art technology and techniques;
- Proficiency in documentation and communication;
- Familiarity cooperating with outsourcing partners;
- Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent formal qualification) in a relevant field;
- Working knowledge of Atlassian software development and collaboration tools;
- Experience working in diverse, multinational teams;
- Familiarity with Substance;
- Experience with photogrammetry and associated rapid game art production pipelines / techniques;
- Practical experience using a variety of modern game engines and tools;
- Experience creating, commissioning and critiquing concept art;
- Interest in open-world games.
Are you interested and do you fit above profile? We love to hear from you!
We only take your application in consideration when you apply with a CV and motivational letter.